Effective as of July 10, 2020.
Table of Contents (click to jump to section)
- Personal information we collect
- How we use your personal information
- How we share your personal information
- Your choices
- Other sites, mobile applications and services
- Security practices
- International data transfers
- How to contact us
- Your California privacy rights under the CCPA (for certain California residents)
PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
Information you provide to us. Personal information you may provide to us at or through the Site or otherwise includes:
- Business and personal contact information, such as your first and last name, email and mailing addresses, phone number, professional title and company name.
- Content you choose to upload to any Site, such as text, images, audio, and video, along with the metadata associated with the files you upload.
- Profile information, such as your username and password that you may set to establish an online account with us, your photograph, gender, biographic details, links to your profiles on various third party sites including social networking sites, interests, and preferences.
- Registration information, such as information that may be related to a service, an account or an event you register for.
- Feedback or correspondence, such as information you provide when you contact us with questions, feedback, tenant or customer support requests, or otherwise correspond with us by phone, online, or otherwise.
- Demographic Information, such as your city, state, country of residence, postal code, and age.
- Government-issued identification numbers, such as a national identification number (e.g., tax identification number) and state or local identification number (e.g., driver’s license or state ID number).
- Transaction information, such as information about payments to and from you and other details of products or services you have purchased from us.
- Professional or employment information, such as information relating to a person's current, past or prospective employment, educational or professional experience, including job and educational history, work experience and performance evaluations.
- Usage information, such as information about how you use a Site and interact with us, including information associated with any content you upload to the websites or otherwise submit to us, and information you provide when you use any interactive features of the Site.
- Marketing information, such as your preferences for receiving communications about a Site, activities, events, and publications, and details about how you engage with our communications.
- Video and audio at our physical locations, such as security video and audio footage and digital photos used for access to physical locations.
- Medical information, such as information regarding an individual’s medical history, or mental or physical condition, including your body temperature, health symptoms and other health screening information in connection with our health and safety plans and protocols, including screening required to access our offices/facilities, and other measures designed to limit the transmission of COVID-19 or other infectious diseases.
Information we obtain from other third parties. We may receive personal information about you from third-party sources, including business partners, social media sites, vendors, marketing partners, publicly-available sources and data providers.
Cookies and other information collected by automated means.
- We, our service providers, and our business partners may automatically log information about you, your computer or mobile device, and activity occurring on, at or through a Site, including but not limited, your computer or mobile device operating system type and version number, manufacturer and model, device identifier (such as the Google Advertising ID or Apple ID for Advertising), browser type, screen resolution, IP address, the website you visited before browsing to our website, general location information such as city, state or geographic area; information about your use of and actions on the Site, such as pages or screens you viewed, how long you spent on a page or screen, navigation paths between pages or screens, information about your activity on a page or screen, access times, and length of access; and other personal information. Our service providers and business partners may collect this type of information over time and across third-party websites and mobile applications.
- On our webpages, this information is collected using cookies, browser web storage (also known as locally stored objects, or “LSOs”), web beacons, and similar technologies, and our emails may also contain web beacons.
- A “cookie” is a text file that websites send to a visitor‘s computer or other Internet-connected device to uniquely identify the visitor’s browser or to store information or settings in the browser. Browser web storage, or LSOs, are used for similar purposes as cookies. Browser web storage enables the storage of a larger amount of data than cookies. A “web beacon,” also known as a pixel tag or clear GIF, is typically used to demonstrate that a webpage was accessed or that certain content was viewed, typically to measure the success of our marketing campaigns or engagement with our emails and to compile statistics about usage of our websites.
- Web browsers may offer users of our websites or mobile apps the ability to disable receiving certain types of cookies; however, if cookies are disabled, some features or functionality of our websites may not function correctly.
Referrals. Users of a Site may have the opportunity to refer friends or other contacts to us. If you are an existing user, you may only submit a referral if you have permission to provide the referral’s contact information to us so that we may contact them.
HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
To operate a Site. We may use your personal information to:
- provide, operate and improve a Site
- provide information about our products and services
- establish and maintain your user profile on a Site
- control access to and monitor our physical premises (e.g., by requiring health screenings to access offices/facilities)
- enable security features of a Site, such as by sending you security codes via email or SMS, and remembering devices from which you have previously logged in
- communicate with you about a Site, including by sending you announcements, updates, security alerts, and support and administrative messages
- communicate with you about events or contests in which you participate
- understand your needs and interests, and personalize your experience with a Site and our communications
- provide support and maintenance for a Site
- to respond to your or tenant requests, questions and feedback
For research and development. We analyze use of the Site to analyze and improve the Site and to develop new products and services, including by studying user demographics and use of the Site.
To send you marketing and promotional communications. We may send you Alexandria-related marketing communications as permitted by law. You will have the ability to opt-out of our marketing and promotional communications as described in the “Opt-out of marketing communications” section below.
To comply with law. We use your personal information as we believe necessary or appropriate to comply with applicable laws, lawful requests, and legal process, such as to respond to subpoenas or requests from government authorities.
For compliance, fraud prevention, and safety. We may use your personal information and disclose it to law enforcement, government authorities, and private parties as we believe necessary or appropriate to: (a) protect our, your or others’ rights, privacy, safety or property (including by making and defending legal claims); (b) enforce the terms and conditions that govern the Site; a (c) protect, investigate, and deter against fraudulent, harmful, unauthorized, unethical, or illegal activity; and (d) prevention and control of COVID-19 or other infectious viruses or diseases including, without limitation, complying with applicable public health guidelines and requirements, such as, guidance and mandates from the Centers for Disease Control or other public health authorities.
With your consent. In some cases we may specifically ask for your consent to collect, use or share your personal information, such as when required by law.
To create anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data. We may create anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data from your personal information and other individuals whose personal information we collect. We make personal information into anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data by removing information that makes the data personally identifiable to you. We may use this anonymous, aggregated or de-identified data and share it with third parties for our lawful business purposes, including to analyze and improve the Site and promote our business.
HOW WE SHARE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
Service providers. We may share your personal information with third-party companies and individuals that provide services on our behalf or help us operate the Site or with other operational matters (such as user authentication, customer support, hosting, analytics, email delivery, marketing, payment, order fulfillment, and database management services). These third parties may use your personal information only as directed or authorized by us.
Professional advisors. We may disclose your personal information to professional advisors, such as lawyers, bankers, auditors and insurers, where necessary in the course of the professional services that they render to us.
For compliance, fraud prevention and safety. We may share your personal information for the compliance, fraud prevention and safety purposes.
Business transfers. We may sell, transfer or otherwise share some or all of our business or assets, including your personal information, in connection with a business transaction (or potential business transaction) such as a corporate divestiture, merger, consolidation, acquisition, reorganization or sale of assets, or in the event of bankruptcy or dissolution.
In this section, we describe the rights and choices available to all users.
Access or Update Your Information. If you have registered for an account with us, you may review and update certain personal information in your account profile by logging into the account.
Opt out of marketing communications. You may opt-out of marketing-related emails by following the opt-out or unsubscribe instructions at the bottom of the email, or by contacting us at: email@example.com. You may continue to receive service-related and other non-marketing emails.
Choosing not to share your personal information. Where we are required by law to collect your personal information, or where we need your personal information in order to provide a Site to you, if you do not provide this information when requested (or you later ask to delete it), we may not be able to provide you with our services. We will tell you what information you must provide to receive a Site by designating it as required at the time of collection or through other appropriate means.
OTHER SITES AND SERVICES
Our websites, applications and other online services may contain links to other websites and other online services operated by third parties. These links are not an endorsement of, or representation that we are affiliated with, any third party. In addition, our content may be included on web pages or in mobile applications or online services that are not associated with us. We do not control third party websites, mobile applications or online services, and we are not responsible for their actions. Other websites, mobile applications and services follow different rules regarding the collection, use and sharing of your personal information. We encourage you to read the privacy policies of the other websites, mobile applications and online services you use.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We employ a number of organizational, technical and physical safeguards designed to protect the personal information we collect. However, security risk is inherent in all internet and information technologies and we cannot guarantee the security of your personal information.
INTERNATIONAL DATA TRANSFERS
We are headquartered in the United States and have service providers in other countries, and your personal information may be transferred to the United States or other locations outside of your state, province, or country where privacy laws may not be as protective as those in your state, province, or country.
As a general rule, our websites, applications and our other online services are not intended for use by children and we do not collect personal information from them. We define "children" as anyone under 13 years old. If we learn that we have collected personal information of a child without the consent of the child’s parent or guardian as required by law, we will delete it. We encourage parents with concerns to contact us.
HOW TO CONTACT US
Please direct any questions or comments about this Policy or privacy practices to firstname.lastname@example.org. You may also write to us via postal mail at:
Alexandria Real Estate Equities, Inc.
Attn: Legal – Privacy
26 North Euclid Avenue
Pasadena, CA 91101
Attention: Corporate Secretary
IMPORTANT INFORMATION FOR CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS
THIS SECTION APPLIES ONLY TO CALIFORNIA RESIDENTS.
It describes how we collect, use and share Personal Information of California residents in operating our business, and their rights with respect to that Personal Information. For purposes of this section, “Personal Information” has the meaning given in the California Consumer Privacy Act of 2018 (“CCPA”), but does not include information exempted from the scope of the CCPA, including without limitation B2B Personal Information as described in the glossary below.
Your California privacy rights. As a California resident, you have the rights listed below. However, these rights are not absolute, and in certain cases we may decline your request as permitted by law.
- Information. You can request the following information about how we have collected and used your Personal Information during the past 12 months:
- The categories of Personal Information that we have collected.
- The categories of sources from which we collected Personal Information.
- The business or commercial purpose for collecting and/or selling Personal Information.
- The categories of third parties with whom we share Personal Information.
- Whether we have disclosed your Personal Information for a business purpose, and if so, the categories of Personal Information received by each category of third party recipient.
- Whether we’ve sold your Personal Information, and if so, the categories of Personal Information received by each category of third party recipient.
- Access. You can request a copy of the Personal Information that we have collected about you during the past 12 months.
- Deletion. You can ask us to delete the Personal Information that we have collected from you.
- Nondiscrimination. You are entitled to exercise the rights described above free from discrimination. This means that we will not penalize you for exercising your rights by taking actions such as denying you services; increasing the price/rate of services; decreasing service quality; or suggesting that we may penalize you as described above for exercising your rights.
How to exercise your rights
You may exercise your California privacy rights described above as follows:
- Rights to information, access and deletion. You can request to exercise your information, access and deletion and rights by:
- calling us toll free at 833-921-1431
- emailing us at email@example.com
- Information needed to help us process your request. Please include the following information in your request (whether by phone or email):
- Your first and last name;
- The full address of your primary residence;
- The nature of your request;
- Identify your relationship to us (i.e. vendor, tenant, tenant personnel, website visitor, employee, etc.);
- Our Sites that you have visited, if any;
- The location of our property or properties relating to your request, if any (i.e. where you are a tenant or where you may have received or provided services);
- If you are calling the toll free number, please leave a call back number and email (if available);
- Any other information that you deem relevant to assist us in processing your request.
We may need and ask for additional information to process your request. Additionally, we will need to confirm your identity and California residency to process your requests to exercise your information, access or deletion rights. We cannot process your request if you do not provide us with sufficient detail to allow us to verify your identity and understand and respond to the request.
Personal information that we collect, use and share
Statutory category of personal
What we collect
|Source of PI||Purpose for
|Categories of third parties to whom we "disclose" the PI
for a business
|Categories of third parties to whom we "sell" the PI|